David W. Johnston, CFP®
Having formerly spent over a decade with Northwestern Mutual and then as a partner in an independent financial planning firm, David understands the methodology behind a comprehensive financial plan, how to properly implement it, and how to monitor it effectively.
David’s ability to integrate various areas of planning while communicating complex topics in an easy to understand manner, allows him to truly function as the “quarterback” of his clients’ wealth management.
David W. Johnston CFP®, CWS® ChFC, REBC, CLU, RHU is extensively qualified. David’s professional designations attest to the fact that he has been educated, not simply trained.
Certified Financial Planner (CFP®) Professional designation and Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC) degree provide designees with extensive knowledge of estate, retirement, investment, insurance, and financial planning applications. This knowledge helps David effectively apply a comprehensive financial planning process to serve his clients’ needs. As recently mentioned on the front page of the New York Times, individuals authorized by the CFP® board to call themselves CFP® professionals have completed the established and rigorous education, examination, experience, and ethical requirements of the CFP® certification process.
Certified Wealth Strategist (CWS®) professional designation emphasizes the notion it’s not only what an advisor knows, but how he or she applies their knowledge with their clients that creates a differential. The mission of the CWS® professional is to provide the financial services professional with the technical knowledge, practice management formula, and the critical client interaction skills necessary to work effectively with more complex client issues. This program is one of the fastest growing certifications in the financial services industry because it is about both knowledge AND application.
Registered Employee Benefits Consultant (REBC) designees gain a thorough understanding of pensions and retirement planning, group medical plans, long term care, executive compensation, and personal management.
Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU) designees are able to present a vast range of solutions for the life insurance needs of individuals, business owners and professionals, including income replacement, estate planning and wealth transfer.
Registered Health Underwriter (RHU) designees provide consultation on medical, disability income, and long term care insurance, along with managed care and consumer driven health care initiatives.
- Graduated from The College of New Jersey 1996, BS Finance
- FINRA Series 6 (Investment Company Products/Variable contracts Limited Representative)
- FINRA Series 7 (General Securities Representative)
- FINRA Series 63 (Uniform Securities Agent State Law Exam)
- FINRA Series 65 (Uniform Investment Advisor Law Exam)
- Life and Health Insurance licenses (various states, CA Insurance License.#0F94827)
- Hunterdon Prevention Resources, board member, 2nd Vice President
- “Leadership Hunterdon”, member 2013 class
- Hunterdon County Historical Society, member
- The College of New Jersey Alumni Association, member and former board member
- TCNJ Football Gridiron Group, member and past president
- David lives in Flemington, NJ along with his wife Jennifer and their three children, Colin, Abbey, and Erin.
- David is proud to be a member of the River Dell Regional High School Athletics Hall of Fame (soccer) and honored to be an All-American recipient as a placekicker for The College of New Jersey football team.
- When David is not spending time with his growing family, he competes in triathlons, coaches youth sports, and attends New York Red Bulls soccer matches as a season ticket holder. Additionally, David supports Liverpool FC, and cheers on the New York Football Giants. Most importantly, David captains his Over-40 Armada FC men's soccer team.
Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards Inc. (CFP Board) owns the certification marks CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™, CFP® (with plaque design), and CFP® (with flame design) in the U.S., which it authorizes use of by individuals who successfully complete CFP Board's initial and ongoing certification requirements.